Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hedda and Brack

I know I said I was going to continue the post about underlying messages in Act Three and Four-- and I will, but as I was going through the messages and stuff I thought about the relationship between Hedda and Brack. It got me thinking... My opinion is that Brack and Hedda are the two characters with the most power in this play. They seem to know everything that is going on, especially Brack. In class I worked in the group to analyze him and I was very surprised. Of course he is the well-groomed and distinguished Judge, but he is mischievous and malicious to an extent. Definitely he is playful and youthful- especially with he sexual comments regarding the triangle and stag parties, etc, even though he is over forty. But Hedda and him have the most rewarding conversations. In act one, he's not seem as that powerful but when I look back on it I realize he is pulling all the strings, because it was him who set up the house for Tesman and Hedda to live and he helped with their finances. Than in the second act he pulls Hedda's power away for her, taking her pistol, weaselling into her marriage, knowing her true feelings, taking Tesman to the Party. In act three its apparent that he was watching Lovborg and knows details about what went down and confides them to Hedda, in order to use that against her later in act four. Because in act four he knows she gave Lovborg the pistol that killed and know Brack has exactly what he wants, he has control over Hedda, the one thing she never wanted. So in reality, the audience and readers (us) assume Hedda is the one in control but actually it is Brack.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I already got that the judge held a lot of the power in the play, but i completely forgot about his part in setting up the house for tesmand and hedda and helping them out financially. thats really good because in simply doing that, he makes it so he already has complete control over hedda and tesman, even if they don't immediately realize it. also he opens the door to be able to come into the relationship so easily.